About Me

My photo
An Actor, Singer, and Director, I currently reside in the State of Chaos.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Don't Fucking Judge Me!

So, my mother and I now have this routine where we go grocery shopping every weekend, since her and I have problems walking. We head on over to Publix, and hope that both of the only two electric carts are there, otherwise, we'd have to take turns, while one rides, the other one leans and pushes on a shopping cart. It is kind of humorous how two people living in a household by themselves both have disabled conditions. Two cripples - who try their best to take care of each other when there's no one else around to do so. Sometimes, it turns into a "blind leading the blind" situation.

Anyway, we get to Publix, and, of course, we're lucky enough that both carts are available. I get in mine, she gets in hers. As we're ready to make our way, an employee walks over. I could see it in her face - the question as to why a young, healthy looking man would be getting in a cart usually reserved for the handicapped, elderly, or lazy obese people. She looked like she was at a loss for words, and the only thing that came out of her mouth, as she directed it to the both of us, was "They are unplugged, right?" - as if we didn't know what we were doing. "Yep" we answered and sped off - well, as fast as those motorized carts could go.

Then throughout the shopping, I noticed I was getting looks of dissaproval, not only by other employees, but by customers, as well....as if I was inconveniencing them by being in their way. my mother, on the other hand, because of her age, and the fact that she has a cane in her cart gets opposite reactions. People are willing to help her, etc.

I know I shouldn't care what others think...and I try not to. But, to be honest, sometimes, i want to wear a sign around my neck - or something - explaining that i'm not as healthy as i look. Then again, if they watch me long enough, they'll think I'm either on Heroin or Methadone, thanks to the painkillers I am on.

No comments: